How To Grease A Bike Chain
We guide you through the basics of bike anatomy show.
How to grease a bike chain. Oils that are specifically marketed as bicycle chain lubricants are superior to non bicycle specific products. We cover four methods to cleaning your chain from the quick and dirty to the o c d. Rinse the chain in clean water and dry it using a clean microfiber cloth. A bicycle chain needs lubricant to overcome mechanical resistance prevent rust and wear and keep your drivetrain in tip top condition.
Too little lube and it ll squeak too much and it ll attract a lot of dirt. Rei does not recommend using wd 40 on your bike it is a cleaner but not a lubricant. There s always more than one way to do something. If not used properly the same lubricating compounds designed to protect and enhance drivetrain performance are inherently at odds with the very purpose for which they were created.
Always use a cleaner and lubricant designed for bike drivetrains. How to degrease and lube your chain navigation. Choose a bike lubricant that s right for the conditions. They generally contain teflon and are designed to repel dirt and water.
Whatever kind of lube you use make sure it s designed specifically for bike chains and never use wd 40 since it evaporates quickly and can cause dirt and grime to build up on your chain. To lube a bicycle chain use wet lube if you live in a rainy or snowy climate or use dry lube if you live in an arid climate. Scrub the chain with a toothbrush and citrus based degreaser to remove large chunks of grease and debris. How do we keep your chain running efficiently and enhance its lifetime.
Add lube to your chain. Home insight zone bike kit. Use a clean dry rag to dry your chain well before you apply chain lube. Put the chain back on the bike using the chain break tool to align and insert the pin that you took out.
The answer is simple keep it clean and lubricate it well. Apply a very small drop of lube to each individual roller put the lube on the part of the chain that s closer to the ground to prevent dripping lubricant on your bike frame. Soak the chain in a container of the degreaser overnight. When lubricating your bike really all you have to look for is the moving parts where metal pieces move against one another use a light specially formulated bike lubricant and not any old junk that you find in your garage.
Oil that is too thick will gum up and attract lots of dirt. Here we show you how to look after your chain with this simple routine.
- Best Mountain Bike Tires 2020
- Best Mountain Bike Tires 26x2 1
- Best Mountain Bike Tires 29er
- Best Mountain Bikes For Sale
- Best Mountain Bike To Buy
- Best Mountain Bike Saddle Comfort
- Best Mountain Bikes For Beginners Australia
- Best Mountain Bike Pedals And Shoes
- Best Mountain Bike Lights Under 50
- Best Mountain Bike Of 2020
- Best Mountain Bike Shorts On Amazon
- Best Mountain Bike Water Bottle Cage
- Best Mountain Bike Lights 2019
- Best Mountain Bike To Buy In India
- Best Mountain Bike Saddle For Trail Riding
- Best Mountain Bike Shoes
- Best Mountain Bike Under 500 Australia
- Best Mountain Bikes For Adults
- Best Mountain Bike Tires For Colorado
- Best Mountain Bike To Buy For A Beginner